373[linux-dell-laptops] Re: ATI on CPx H500GT EASY ANSWER!!!

  • Fox Purtill
    Feb 12, 2000
      First, download the i75olnxf.rpm file from the Dell drivers web site
      closest to you.

      From LILO you can write

      > linux vga=791

      or just add it to your /etc/lilo.conf file.

      I don't know how much the users here know obout Linux so here is some
      more help. If you copied the rpm to a floppy you might have to mount
      the floppy drive as well and then access it. To do this..

      mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

      then:

      cd /mnt/floppy

      The rpm-file you just got at the Dell pages just gets forced in using
      the following command.

      rpm -ivh i75olnxf.rpm --force

      Works well.

      "robin hillman" <rhillma-@...> wrote:
      =290
      > I just picked up my Latitude H500GT and installed Linux only to find
      > that the ATI Rage Mobility chipset is not yet supported yet but the
      ATI
      > Rage LT Pro chipset are now supported using XFree86 v3.3.5. Check the
      > ATI web site
      > at http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html
      > regarding Xfree86 support for this chipset...... Looks like we're
      gonna
      > have to wait a while !!!
      >

      > "james" <jame-@...> wrote:
      > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?sta
      rt
      > =273
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > Just got a Latitude H500GT w/ATI Rage 3D 8MB video card and
      installed
      > > RedHat6.1. XConfiguration installs the Mach64 server and recommends
      > > 1024x768 at 32bpp. When I try to test it the screen turns some funny
      > > colors and then dies. If I choose not to test and accept it's values
      > > and startx the screen just goes blank. I have tried all resolutions
      > and
      > > color depths with the same results. I also tried the fix mentioned
      in
      as
      > > how to fix this? I was never able to get it working properly with
      the
      > > CPi400GT w/NeoMagic 256ZX either. Thanks

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic