370[linux-dell-laptops] Linux Partition

  • Marvin Pierce
    Feb 11, 2000
      I am receiving a partitioning error that I cannot resolve:

      1) Resized FAT32 (WIN98) partition using Partition Magic 5.0
      2) Setup an extended partition of 2.451Mb formatted as ext2
      3) Run autoboot from RH CD with command:
      cd dosutils
      autoboot

      4) The computer hangs with this error:

      Partition check:
      hda1 hda2
      VFS: Cannot open root device 08:32
      Kernel panic: VFS; Unable to mount root fs on 08:32

      Running FIPS shows:
      Partition table:
      Start End Start Number
      of
      Part.|bootable|Head Cyl. Sector|System|Head Cyl. Sector| Sector
      |Sectors | MB
      -----+--------+----------------+------+----------------+--------+------
      ---+----
      1 | yes| 1 0 1| 0Ch| 239 966 63| 63|
      14620977|7139
      2 | no| 0 967 1| 83h| 239 1298 63|14621040|
      5019840|2451
      3 | no| 0 0 0| 00h| 0 0 0| 0|
      0| 0
      4 | no| 0 0 0| 00h| 0 0 0| 0|
      0| 0

      Checking root sector ... OK
      Which Partition do you want to split (1/2)? 2
      Error: Unknown file system: 83h
      Only DOS partitions can be split (system indicator byte must be 4 or 6)
      Bye!

      I cannot find anything in any documentation related to this.
      I am installing on a Dell Inspiron 7000 A400LT BIOS REV A10 (037A)
      Fujitsu MHC2102AT, ATA HD 9590Mb w/512kB cache
      1299 Cylinders 240 Heads
      512 Bytes/Sector 63 Sectors/Track
      (I think it is a class: GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE40)

      Back in WIN98 to send this email.
      Can anyone help - I'm 8 hours and still trying to maintain my sanity
      since I'm a newbie.
      I've tried everything - the only thing I can think is that I'm trying
      to install Linux above the 1,024 cylinder boundary in some way through
      EIDE HD address translation. (What is the system indicator byte?)

      I have even junked the layout and put an extended primary Linux
      partition at Section 0 #1 to no avail.

      I am really stumped as to what is causing this - any suggestions?
      Please post and email any reply to mpierce@...