28937Re: [linux-dell-laptops] internal hard drive DELL800 latitude

  • Ardell Faul
    Dec 13, 2008
      For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the laptop
      repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most prone
      to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have ever
      had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost without
      exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything like
      even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys around
      160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish. Very
      foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I don't
      understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard drive in
      a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an external
      backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is just
      plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in the
      hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the area
      where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.

      I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte hard
      drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
      screaming machine.

      What a bunch of shit that is.

      Ardell Faul
      Computer Monitor Service Inc.
      Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
      10816 E. Mission Ave.,
      Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
      ardell@...
      509-891-5188

      kiyer25 wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
      > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
      > best one with reasonable price as well.
      >
      > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
      >
      > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
      > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.
      >
      > Thanks a lot
      >
      > cheers
      > kris

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic