28893Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Latitude - What's the best graphics card for Linux

  • Charles Hutchinson
    May 27, 2008
      tzaphod wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > I'm going to buy a Latitude D830 soon, but haven't decided yet, what
      > graphics card to choose. For a T9300 I can select between a NVidia NVS
      > 140M or an on-board Intel GMX X3100.
      >
      > Which of these graphics cards causes less trouble on Linux? Will the
      > GMA X3100 have enough performance for Beryl / Compiz and 3D
      > applications like Blender? I also need to run some more or less
      > complex WPF applications in a VirtualBox VM with XP or Server 2008.
      >
      > What about support of external monitors? Am I restricted in the
      > resolution of the external monitor somehow?
      >
      > Anything else I should be aware of, when intending to run Linux on the
      > D830?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Tobias

      I had this laptop at my last job. Be sure to fine tune your order when
      you buy this. It will run Linux VERY well as long as you pick the right
      components. Specifically make sure you get it with the Intel wireless
      and not the Dell wireless controller.

      As for graphics I always go with Nvidia. The few times I have been
      stuck with anything else has been a disappointment to say the least.
      All the purists be damned as I want something that works. I had mine
      set to run 1600x1080 on both internal and external displays. It worked
      VERY well. I think you can now run multiple resolutions now with twinview.

      Charlie
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic