28889Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Latitude - What's the best graphics card for Linux

  • Tobi
    May 27, 2008
      Drew Eckhardt wrote:

      >> I'm going to buy a Latitude D830 soon,

      > You don't want to buy a "linux" laptop except from a
      > company like Linux Certified which has worked out the
      > driver and configuration issues.

      I generally don't see a problem in running Linux on a Latitude D830. All
      components are known to work with Linux. I'm just not sure, which graphics
      card is better.

      > Dell claims to sell a Linux version of the 1420 which

      I'm not interested in an Inspiron - it hast to be "business-class"
      notebook - that's the Latitude at the moment (I think Vostro and XPS only
      come with glossy WSXGA+ displays.).

      What about running an external 19" monitor with 1280 x 1024 and the
      notebook with 1680 x 1050?

      I'm not sure, but I think I've read somewhere the GMA is limited to
      2048x2048, so the above combination wouldn't work.
      Can anyone confirm this?

      Tobias
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic