28866Re: [linux-dell-laptops] inspiron 9300: problems with fans and cpu throttling

  • Walter Cazzola
    Mar 26, 2008
      On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Peter Teuben wrote:

      > On [Wed Mar 26 14:27], Walter Cazzola wrote:
      >> Dear Linux Experts,
      >>
      >> I'm an owner of a three-years old inspiron 9300 laptop running linux
      >> Mandriva 2007.1. In the last few weeks I got a few problems with the
      >> fans and the CPU clock.
      >>
      >> For no apparent reasons the fans start whirling at the highest speed and
      >> the only way I found to turn them off is switching off and on the laptop.
      >>
      >> Analogously the laptop CPU without reasons stops working at 2.2 Ghz and
      >> slow down to 800 Mhz and again to turn off the laptop is the only way
      >> that (sometimes not always) restores the top speed for the CPU.
      >>
      >> Do you know why this happens? I have checked with the Dell check program
      >> but both fans and CPU works correctly.
      >>
      >> Especially do you know how to bypass this problems by forcing the turn
      >> off/on of the fans (is there something like the i8k tools for the
      >> i9300?) and regulate the CPU clock?

      > On my i8200 forcing it off was done with Fn-Z.

      it is not the case here, the support of the function keys is very low
      under mandriva 2007.1 on i9300 or at least I give up to get my function
      keys working long ago.

      Best
      Walter

      --
      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699