28749Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Next distro?

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    May 25, 2007
      Sword King wrote:
      > Apparently I have way less experience with Linux and even computers
      > than you guys, but I easily solved the problems you are discussing on
      > my Inspiron 1100 (Xubuntu Feisty) by creating a shortcut to a root
      > terminal in X, thereby alleviating the need to 'sudo'. It's usually
      > one of the first things I start when I fire it up, cuz I like to play
      > around way more than is necessary to get work done.:) For example, I
      > go there and use aptitude to update or install software.
      > I also made a shortcut to open Nautilus as root, so I can go poking
      > around in places I shouldn't be allowed, and found a way to insert a
      > context menu item "Open as Root". Needless to say, I don't remember
      > how I did these things, but they are beneficial.
      > SK

      Actually, what you have done is not really related to what I was
      discussing. Also, Xubuntu is a bit of a different beast. In straight
      Ubuntu, one doesn't really need to become root to install and modify
      programs. In fact for lack of a root password, there is no true
      linux/unix root account. Instead the users are added to the sudoers
      account/group. Sudoers are given root privileges through their own login
      password. What do I mean when I say there is no true root account? It's
      not possible to login as root out of the box. That's because that would
      require a root password. What you have done, SK, is cool, but at some
      point you had to give a password. I'm guessing you used your login
      password, not a root password. For me now, with a root password, I open
      an xterm and switch to root with the "su -" command and give the root
      password. Su means switch user, and the dash means switch to that
      account. You'll notice that your account is located at /home/<your
      username>/, whereas, the root account is located at /root/. The
      difference is this, if I simply type su and the root password, I remain
      in whatever folder I was in when I entered the su command. I also don't
      inherit root's settings for the display and such. The dash says to
      switch user and inherit that user's settings. This is a subtle but
      important difference.

      One of the main issues I was discussing related to working without X,
      i.e, no gui. I think that everything you've done here SK still remains
      within X. Ubuntu normally only allows you to work in either traditional
      linux/unix run level 1--single user mode, or traditional level
      4--multiuser graphical mode. Level 1 is a single user text console mode,
      but not the traditional multiuser text mode of run level 3. SK, type
      this: telinit 1 <enter> to see what run level one is like. To return to
      the gui, simply type telinit 4 <enter>. Keep hacking, and please share
      with us how you did your cool shortcuts. --D

      Douglas S. Oliver

      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
      and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

      "....What right do I have to think?" --Ugarte, December 1941

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic