28404Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Need help: Debian Installation

  • David Rumptz
    Aug 21, 2006
      Funny I disagree I loke the (___)Ububuntu line of
      Debian but I wnet with Kanotix.

      Kanotix which is based on Knoppix but the Debian Sid
      branch! It is cool I had no problems recompiling the
      kernel which got my ALSA sound working fine but I need
      to get the wireless working. Actually recompilking the
      kernel was prety easy too all I really did was go with
      the defaults of the new 2.6.17.9 Kernel. (Follow
      http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21)
      I could have taken the time to cut out the extra stuff
      but it really does not matter.

      Speaking of Flying my Kanotix distro really flies
      becasue it uses both of my processors.

      BTW I am following a good HOWTO on getting your Dell
      laptop to run on Linux. It is not perfect but if you
      are interested follow the directions on
      http://www.gidnetwork.com/b-103.html

      David Rumptz
      rumptz_sh8kr

      --- Chris Fox <chrisfox8@...> wrote:

      > The *ubuntu distros rock. I like the Xubuntu flavor
      > myself, run that on
      > a modem box and you have a GUI so fast you have no
      > sense of an
      > "operating system," it's more like "electrical," the
      > kind of instant
      > response you expect from a light swtitch.
      >
      > As for easiest installer though there's a lot of
      > competition for the
      > title. I started on Linux with RedHat 7.2 and had
      > to struggle through
      > learnin Linux partitioning, but that was the only
      > obstacle for a total
      > n00b, and that was years ago.
      >
      > * Mandake/Mandriva has always been good
      > * Anaconda (installer for RedHat and clones like the
      > superb CentOS,
      > Lineos, etc) is very good
      > * Xandros has the best hardware detection I have
      > EVER seen, and it
      > coexists with Windows better than any distro I've
      > tried
      >
      > Chad Sutton wrote:
      >
      > >You are probably burning the ISO as a file. You
      > need to go to the file menu in
      > >Nero and select "Burn Image...".
      > >
      > >Here is a quick summary on the topic that I
      > googled.
      > >

      >http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
      > >
      > >I don't want to be too bias here, because frankly
      > any Linux is good Linux, but
      > >Ubuntu or KUbuntu are probably the easiest to
      > install these days. By all
      > >means try Fedora, but Ubuntu has a wonderfully
      > helpful community behind it.
      > >
      > >Its funny that I say that because I'm a SuSE user,
      > but I've been playing with
      > >the Kubuntu distro and I really like it. The
      > install was super easy compared
      > >with most distros.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic