28095Inspiron 1200 -- hda spins down, never spins up

  • eric_b_hymowitz
    Mar 1, 2006

      Short question:

      My Inspiron 1200 running Slackware 10 will run just fine for about
      10-15 minutes. After that, I'll start getting errors on hda:

      hda: status error: status=0x7f { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete
      DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
      hda: status error: error=0x7f { DriveSTatusError UncorrectableError
      SectorIdNotFound TrackZeroNotFound AddrMarkNotFound },
      LBAsect=140185576636287, high=8355711, low=8355711, sector=25583958

      At this point, if I'm lucky, all that happens is the disk remounts
      read-only and I have to reboot -- at these times, hdparm tells me the
      disk is in "standy" mode. Most of the time, any command (including
      shutdown, hdparm, and sync) results in an input/output error and I
      have to power off the laptop.

      I've reseated and fsck'd the disk many times, and I cannot get past
      this problem.

      Long background:

      The laptop worked fine for about 7 months. Then some keys on the
      keyboard stopped responding, and Dell came out and replaced the
      keyboard and the motherboard. My troubles started shortly after that.

      Dell support has told me, on different occasions...
      * We don't support Linux.
      * It's a hardware problem. Running Linux doesn't matter.
      * That's a known issue with Linux and some newer motherboards. Call
      software support.
      * What's Linux?
      * We don't support partitioned hard disks.
      * Does Linux run under Windows XP Home or Business?

      Any help would be appreciated.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic