      1. Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140
      From: Herman
      2. Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140
      From: "parenthetically_yours"
      3. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
      From: John Logsdon
      4. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
      From: "E.M.Gardner"
      5. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
      From: "Calen Martin D. Legaspi, SCEA"
      6. Re: Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140
      From: Herman
      7. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
      From: Herman
      8. i need help
      From: "hamed"
      9. connecting linux system with windows using telnet
      From: "nitin_sherry2000"
      10. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
      From: John Logsdon
      11. OpenSuse on Dell Inspiron 9300
      From: Navin Dhanuka
      12. Re: i need help
      From: Haedn Thorn

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:36:47 -0700
      From: Herman
      Subject: Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140

      Looking at the specs - it should work OK.

      However, FC4 is very clunky. You may want to try something more modern
      such as Suse or Mandriva. (RedHat is always 3 years behind the rest of
      the world).

      Cheers,

      H.

      MM wrote:

      >Hello all,
      >
      >I'm new to this board. Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New
      >Yrs...
      >
      >I was wondering has anyone loaded Fedora 4 on a Dell XPS M140 the new
      >ones?
      >
      >Here are my spec's for it.
      >
      >Dell XPS M140
      >Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
      >Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
      >14.1 inch WXGA TrueLife™ LCD Panel
      >1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
      >100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
      >Intel® PRO 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
      >Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
      >
      >Any feedback would be great.
      >

      >Louie

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:27:10 -0000
      From: "parenthetically_yours"

      Herman / Louie

      > However, FC4 is very clunky. You may want to try something more modern
      > such as Suse or Mandriva. (RedHat is always 3 years behind the rest of
      > the world).

      I don't want to start a distro war but I can't agree with your comments.

      I'm running FC4 with a 2.6.14 kernel and I wouldn't say it's 3 years
      behind. I've always thought of Fedora as a good balance between
      bleeding edge without being totally broken. If you want more bleeding
      edge then the FC5 tests have started.

      Valid criticisms of Fedora from a users' point of view could be that
      it doesn't include non-free software, so things like ipw, modems and
      mp3 won't work without some effort. Also if you're a KDE fan then
      Fedora might feel like you're swimming against the tide. But it's not
      years behind.

      For practical help, if it's any encouragement I'm running an Inspiron
      6000, Pentium M740, WUXGA screen, IPW2200, Radeon x300, SATA disk with
      FC4 (plus updates). You'll need the firmware for the IPW (unpack it
      into /lib/firmware).

      /PY

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:30:44 +0000 (GMT)
      From: John Logsdon
      Subject: Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please

      Happy New Year!

      Well at long last I managed to download Madriva 2006 Free from the .no
      site Herman suggested. It needed an ftp anonymous login and I couldn't
      find it from the web page. All that kept doing was directing me to the
      Mandriva club and supposed mirrors that didn't seem to have the right DVD
      iso on them. Since I don't know whether I am going to use Mandriva, I
      don't want to do shell out for things that I won't use in the end.

      So I dropped a DVD iso onto a Mac mini I have and burnt a disk (eventually
      - I have also taken a dislike to the way Apple has implemented Unix but
      that's another story...)

      It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
      burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
      Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
      K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
      Windows.

      But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
      Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
      sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
      /lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
      work at all.

      When Kubuntu can bundle kwifimanager and everything so it works out of the
      box, why does Mandriva try to make things difficult? I am only testing it
      and it fell at the first fence I am afraid. If it had worked, I may well
      have joined the famous club. But it didn't so I wont.

      I expect the DVD player would work except it needs libcss whatever and of
      course I have no net connection... Same problem with Kubuntu. It plays
      DVDs from my Sony camcorder OK.

      Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
      that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
      separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
      it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
      Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
      graphic program.

      I will probably give up and run Windows on the laptop and wait for
      something that works with this fairly new hardware and doesn't annoy me.
      Or try to open up Kubuntu myself - at least it worked cleanly and is not
      quite as annoying as OSX!

      Best wishes

      John

      John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
      Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
      j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
      +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com

      On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Herman wrote:

      > John Logsdon wrote:
      >
      > >Folks
      > >
      > >Mandriva looks interesting but I have some questions:
      > >
      > >I wonder why it needs ndiswrapper with which I have had problems on an old
      > >machine? [K]ubuntu uses Kwifimanager from KDE 3.4.3 which works fine.
      > >

      > Depends on the WiFi device. I don't know what is in there. If it is
      > Intel, then use the Intel driver. If it is Broadcom, then use ndiswrapper.
      >
      > >Does suspend to disk also work automatically after some time of non-use or
      > >by closing the lid or do you have to Fn-ESC to get it to close down?
      > >

      > It should be configurable somewhere, but I haven't bothered to look into it.
      >
      > >Does the i6000 under Mandriva play videos? I tried installing Kaffeine
      > >under Kubuntu and there is still a codecs problem.
      > >

      > Yes, video playing works out of the box.
      >
      > >Are there yum repositories available? I use yum with CentOS and it has a
      > >lot of benefits but of course CentOS as an enterprise level distro does
      > >not have the latest stuff in it...
      > >

      > Yes/No - Mandriva uses a process called urpmi that does the same thing.
      > Actually, Mandriva was first - Redhat copied the idea.
      >
      > >Does Mandriva follow RedHat slavishly and include SELinux by default?
      > >

      > Mandriva split off RedHat 5.0 which is a long time ago. I'm not sure
      > about SELinux availability. Mandriva has their own security system
      > called msec which seems to do the same thing.
      >
      > >Without downloading the DVD, I can't see a list of the Free Mandriva 2006
      > >contents on the web site.
      > >

      > You can install off a free mirror:
      > ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0
      >
      > More stuff are available from the Penguin Liberation Front at
      > http://www.zarb.org
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Herman
      >
      > >Best wishes
      > >
      > >John
      > >
      > >John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
      > >Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
      > >j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
      > >+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com
      > >

      > >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Herman wrote:
      > >

      > >>I recently installed Fedora 4 on a machine and it felt like I discovered
      > >>the secret of time travel and was back in the year 2000. FC deserves
      > >>first prize as the the clunkiest Linux distro.
      > >>
      > >>If you like the RedHat way, but want to have a modern system, then you
      > >>should look at Mandriva. Version 2006 runs perfectly on my notebook.
      > >>Suspend to disk and the WiFi adaptor (using ndiswrapper) worked out of
      > >>the box.
      > >>
      > >>The only 'fix' required after install, is to uninstall the catalogue
      > >>program 'kat' which has a bad performance bug.

> [...]

      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:31:42 -0500
      From: "E.M.Gardner"

      John Logsdon wrote:
> [...]
      >> Actually, Mandriva was first - Redhat copied the idea.
      >>

      >>> Does Mandriva follow RedHat slavishly and include SELinux by default?
      >>>

      >> Mandriva split off RedHat 5.0 which is a long time ago. I'm not sure
      >> about SELinux availability. Mandriva has their own security system
      >> called msec which seems to do the same thing.
      >>

      >>> Without downloading the DVD, I can't see a list of the Free Mandriva 2006
      >>> contents on the web site.
      >>>

      >> You can install off a free mirror:
      >> ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0
      >>
      >> More stuff are available from the Penguin Liberation Front at
      >> http://www.zarb.org
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >>
      >> Herman
      >>

      >>> Best wishes
      >>>
      >>> John
      >>>
      >>> John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
      >>> Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"

      === message truncated ===

      Yahoo! Photos