27508Re: Quick Ubuntu 5.10 / Latitude C600 rundown... - James

  • Gareth
    Oct 24, 2005
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, James Frye <frye@c...> wrote:
      > That's the problem. The interfaces that might attract that kind of
      people
      > make it less usable by people like me, for whom it is a useful and
      > necessary tool.

      That started happening at the turn of the centuary when Debian began
      inlcuding packages without man pages.

      I understand the logic of what they think needs to be
      > done to attract the marching morons. What I don't understand is why on
      > Earth they should want to do so. Are they just driven by envy of Bill
      > Gates and his billions?

      This is a standard argument that goes something like this:

      From the Unix corner... if you want a planet full of idiots make
      everything idiot proof.

      In the opposite corner... if there exists a tool (namely a GUI) to do
      a job faster and easier you would be insane not to use it.

      I'm on the fence on this one myself... -|---&-&--|--

      > Maybe somebody needs to start a new distribution: Technix, maybe? I
      > don't think Geeknix really works :-)

      Could be the solution, a distribution by and for Linux Engineers?
      (open systems as well).

      Gareth
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic