27385Re: Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Demosthenes
    Sep 15, 2005
      you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
      of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
      fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.

      I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?

      Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
      the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
      reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
      XConfig file?

      So it was something about the refresh rates after all.

      Well done!!!!

      Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,

      Ian
      (Adelaide, South Australia)

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
      > Yes, before you startx.
      >
      > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
      >
      > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
      > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
      > screen and the resolution is wrong.
      >
      > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
      > startx, it works fine.
      >
      > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
      > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
      > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
      > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
      >
      > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
      > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
      >
      > :-)
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
      > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
      > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
      > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
      > >
      > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Ian
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
      > > >
      > > > It worked for me!
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic