27379Re: garbled NVidia display - Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Demosthenes
    Sep 15, 2005
      thanks I will download on to my Linux partition shortly..

      Will these work for the standard Mandriva Download Kernel and will I
      have to recompile and change everything if I upgrade the kernel and
      kernel source? So I just unintstall the nvidia.run file compiled
      driver (with some uninstall option I presume) and then install these
      files?

      Will these xfonfig files work with 1600x1200?

      Thanks,

      Ian

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
      <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
      > Here are the 3 rpm found with 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia':
      > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/NVIDIA/
      > I have put also some examples of xorg.conf files.
      > I hope they will work with Mandriva download edition...
      > Tell me if you need other rpm.
      > Tell me also when you have downloaded the files because I would
      like to
      > delete them.
      >
      > Alex.
      >
      > Demosthenes wrote:
      > > Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver
      actually
      > > works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a
      club
      > > membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver
      which is
      > > the problem.
      > >
      > > I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although
      it
      > > compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to
      match
      > > my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
      > > matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I
      don't
      > > know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years
      ago, there
      > > used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't
      remember.

      > > For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
      > > display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.
      > >
      > > Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try
      that
      > > instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
      > > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
      > >
      > >>The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver.
      It is
      > >>the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is
      called
      > >>'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
      > >>(http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
      > >>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install
      Mandriva
      > >>PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver
      > >
      > > the
      > >
      > >>download edition).
      > >>
      > >>Alex.

      > http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      > tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic