27377Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: garbled NVidia display - Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Sep 15, 2005
      Here are the 3 rpm found with 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia':
      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/NVIDIA/
      I have put also some examples of xorg.conf files.
      I hope they will work with Mandriva download edition...
      Tell me if you need other rpm.
      Tell me also when you have downloaded the files because I would like to
      delete them.

      Alex.

      Demosthenes wrote:
      > Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
      > works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
      > membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
      > the problem.
      >
      > I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
      > compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
      > my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
      > matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
      > know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
      > used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.
      >
      > For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
      > display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.
      >
      > Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
      > instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
      > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
      >
      >>The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
      >>the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
      >>'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
      >>(http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
      >>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
      >>PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
      >
      > the
      >
      >>download edition).
      >>
      >>Alex.

      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic