27342Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: displaying on a LCD projector

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Sep 1, 2005
      I have a NVidia GeForce4 440 Go. I use the driver from nvidia, named
      nvidia. It is not the driver from XFree/xorg, named nv.
      (http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html)
      Latest version is:
      http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-7676.html
      There is a very good doc:
      ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7676/README.txt

      I can use a projector with TwinView (Xinerama). You should look at the
      section Appendix G. Configuring Twinview of the doc.

      The device section of my xorg.conf file looks like:

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "device1"
      VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
      BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
      Driver "nvidia"
      # Option "NoLogo" "on" # NVIDIA logo splash screen
      Option "DPMS" # PowerSave
      Option "TwinView" "on" # enable Xinerama
      Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
      # RightOf, LeftOf, Above, Below, CLone
      Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, DFP"
      # DFP=FlatPanel, CRT=Cathode, TV=TV
      Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31.5-90.0"
      Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "59.0-85.0"
      Option "MetaModes" "1600x1200,1600x1200; 1600x1200,NULL;
      NULL,1600x1200"
      # Option "MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600"
      # Option "MetaModes" "1024x768@1600x1200,1600x1200"
      # Option "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "off"
      # Option "IgnoreEDID" "off" # disable probing of EDID
      Option "UseEdidFreqs" "on" # EDID before HorizSync,VertRefresh
      EndSection

      Note that the first monitor is the projector and the laptop screen is
      the second monitor.
      You do not have to use <Fn><F8>. You change from one mode to the other
      with <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_->.

      If you boot before you plug the projector, I think that you have to
      restart X when the projector is plugged in.

      You can change some options of the nvidia driver using nvidia-settings.

      Alex.