27244Re: Video probs with Inspiron 1100 and Live CD

  • spinoza_scholar
    Aug 16, 2005
      Problem resolved (sort of). In case anyone cares, here's what I did:

      1. Instead of trying to resolve the Live CD problem, I re-partitioned
      my HD and installed Ubuntu alongside XP.
      2. I then edited xorg.conf and added the following lines under "monitor":
      HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
      VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0

      Now I'm running Ubuntu happily from my HD.

      Thanks to Herman Vaibhav, and Haedn for your help!

      Thanks also to Duglass, kelving, sureluvmyspam, and the others in the
      Ubuntu Hardware support forum.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "spinoza_scholar"
      <spinoza_scholar@y...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > First, thanks to this community for all the info and help! I am a new
      > Linux user and am happy to be (mostly) free of Microsoft. But I am
      > having a problem:
      >
      > I am trying to run Linux from a live CD on my Dell Inspiron 1100. I
      > have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix, and PCLinuxOS Live CDs. All of
      > them have the same problem:
      > When I boot up, the screen is displayed in a small square several
      > inches smaller than my physical screen. Once I reach the desktop, my
      > screen remains very small and my mouse cannot go beyond the edge of
      > the displayed area.
      > I have read that this is a result of my having an Intel 845GL
      > integrated video controller. My Dell BIOS is locked in a only 1 MB
      > video memory. I have flashed to the most recent BIOS available from
      > Dell (A32), but the problem remains.
      >
      > So, can I hack the Dell BIOS and assign more memory to video?
      > Or can I enter a code at the prompt during boot up to manually adjust
      > this setting?
      >
      > Finally, if I chose to install a distro of Linux on the HD, would I
      > have this same problem? Or is this a problem solely with Live CD?
      >
      > Thanks so much in advance!
      >
      > From a distressed new linux-lover,
      > Gene Marshall
      >
      > PS Here's some more system info, in case it will help:
      > BIOS A32
      > Celeron 2.4 GHz
      > 384 RAM
      > Windows XP, using Live CD
      > have latest versions of aforementioned Linux Live CDs.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic