27240Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Video probs with Inspiron 1100 and Live CD

  • Herman
    Aug 15, 2005
      spinoza_scholar wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > First, thanks to this community for all the info and help! I am a new
      > Linux user and am happy to be (mostly) free of Microsoft. But I am
      > having a problem:
      >
      > I am trying to run Linux from a live CD on my Dell Inspiron 1100. I
      > have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix, and PCLinuxOS Live CDs. All of
      > them have the same problem:
      > When I boot up, the screen is displayed in a small square several
      > inches smaller than my physical screen. Once I reach the desktop, my
      > screen remains very small and my mouse cannot go beyond the edge of
      > the displayed area.
      > I have read that this is a result of my having an Intel 845GL
      > integrated video controller. My Dell BIOS is locked in a only 1 MB
      > video memory. I have flashed to the most recent BIOS available from
      > Dell (A32), but the problem remains.
      >
      > So, can I hack the Dell BIOS and assign more memory to video?
      > Or can I enter a code at the prompt during boot up to manually adjust
      > this setting?

      You can change the screen settings at boot time. However I cannot tell
      you how, since it depends on the version of Linux that you are running.
      Some manual reading is required. You need to boot up to the first
      prompt then type something to change the default. At that point, you
      should also see a Help option - happy reading!

      The trick is to avoid using too much colour depth. You may have to set
      the colour depth as low as 15 bits to be able to use the full screen
      real estate.

      Hope this points you in the right direction.

      Cheers,

      Herman
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic