27239Video probs with Inspiron 1100 and Live CD

  • spinoza_scholar
    Aug 15, 2005
      Hello,

      First, thanks to this community for all the info and help! I am a new
      Linux user and am happy to be (mostly) free of Microsoft. But I am
      having a problem:

      I am trying to run Linux from a live CD on my Dell Inspiron 1100. I
      have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix, and PCLinuxOS Live CDs. All of
      them have the same problem:
      When I boot up, the screen is displayed in a small square several
      inches smaller than my physical screen. Once I reach the desktop, my
      screen remains very small and my mouse cannot go beyond the edge of
      the displayed area.
      I have read that this is a result of my having an Intel 845GL
      integrated video controller. My Dell BIOS is locked in a only 1 MB
      video memory. I have flashed to the most recent BIOS available from
      Dell (A32), but the problem remains.

      So, can I hack the Dell BIOS and assign more memory to video?
      Or can I enter a code at the prompt during boot up to manually adjust
      this setting?

      Finally, if I chose to install a distro of Linux on the HD, would I
      have this same problem? Or is this a problem solely with Live CD?

      Thanks so much in advance!

      From a distressed new linux-lover,
      Gene Marshall

      PS Here's some more system info, in case it will help:
      BIOS A32
      Celeron 2.4 GHz
      384 RAM
      Windows XP, using Live CD
      have latest versions of aforementioned Linux Live CDs.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic