27232Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Linux ,as dual boot with XP home on inspiron 600m.

  • L.V.Gandhi
    Aug 14, 2005
      On 8/12/05, G <duah@...> wrote:
      > I got a new Dell laptop inspiron 600m ,with XP home,and want to add
      > Xandros SurfSide Linux .Before I do,I want to have a backup .is there
      > a method I can burn a backup of this DELL OS image BEFORE I install
      > Linux? perhaps a ghost image ,saved to main drive,then burn that to
      > cd?
      >
      > I did some reading about restore function,since dell no longer ships
      > restore cds,and found "" Multiboot managers that install themselves in
      > the MBR will break Dell's PC Restore ability.".
      >
      > this dude has figured out,that if add OS,like linux,you cannot restore
      > dell os!
      >
      > http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/dellmbr.htm
      >
      > so you have PAID the M$ TAX ,and if add linux your screwed at
      > recovering WINDOZE!
      I don't know about this dell OD image. I have dell 600m bought
      ofcourse in dec2003. I have restore cd.
      However I don't think there is a problem. I don't know how this
      Xandros is installed. I have installed many distros like mandrake,
      kanotix,knoppix and debian. You can install grub/lilo boot loader in
      the partition. You can partition your HDD using the partition programs
      in linux or windows. Before doing it do defrag ntfs partition and then
      resize. Install linux and use winxp boot loader to boot linux. Use
      google to know how to boot frm xp boot loader linux.

      --
      L.V.Gandhi
      http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/