27009Re: [linux-dell-laptops] wireless on i9300

  • ken
    Jul 9, 2005
      Walter Cazzola wrote:

      >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote:
      >
      >[BIOS settings]
      >

      >>>I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
      >>>and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
      >>>(thence I cannot turn it on :-(()
      >>>

      >>Well, then that's the basic problem. If you can't turn the radio on,
      >>you're not going to be able to use the wireless!
      >>

      >right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-(((
      >

      >>Maybe if you set the BIOS to "sw on/off", you could find a way to turn
      >>it on with some software... perhaps even FN-F2...?
      >>

      >well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the "hw on/off" option
      >should enable me to turn on/off the radio from linux, because it is an
      >HW switch as the CRT/LCD switch not interpreted by the OS.
      >

      >>(Asking a second time....) What is the output from "cat
      >>/proc/net/wireless"?
      >>

      ># cat /proc/net/wireless
      >Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
      > face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 17
      > eth2: 0000 0. 0. 0. 0 0 0 0 0 0
      >

      >>>iwconfig says me that I have only eth2 and I'm scanning it without
      >>>results :-(((
      >>>

      >>What does "ifconfig" tell you?
      >>

      ># ifconfig eth2
      >eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
      > inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
      > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
      > Interrupt:17 Base address:0xe000 Memory:dcffd000-dcffdfff
      >
      >uhm, just now, I have noted the "inet6 address" I don't think it is the
      >problem but I don't use IPv6, really strange.
      >

      >>>I think that I have to find the way to us the FN-F2 key to turn on the
      >>>radio. Any other idea?
      >>>

      >>Play around with configuring FN-F2 later... after you have the wireless
      >>working properly.
      >>

      >Ok, I agree with you, what do you think from the date above, is it well
      >configurated?
      >
      >thank you
      >Walter

      Sorry, I've been away on vacation.

      Yeah, you shouldn't have eth2 configured for an IPv6 address. Check the
      configuration file.

      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
      -- Bradford Angier
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic