26984Re: [linux-dell-laptops] wireless on i9300

  • Walter Cazzola
    Jul 4, 2005
      On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, ken wrote:

      [BIOS settings]

      >> I have already checked, I have just three options: always off, hw on/off
      >> and sw on/off, at the moment is on the hw on/off and starts as off
      >> (thence I cannot turn it on :-(()

      > Well, then that's the basic problem. If you can't turn the radio on,
      > you're not going to be able to use the wireless!

      right, in fact I would like to turn it on :-(((

      > Maybe if you set the BIOS to "sw on/off", you could find a way to turn
      > it on with some software... perhaps even FN-F2...?

      well, from what I read (but it could be wrong) the "hw on/off" option
      should enable me to turn on/off the radio from linux, because it is an
      HW switch as the CRT/LCD switch not interpreted by the OS.

      > (Asking a second time....) What is the output from "cat
      > /proc/net/wireless"?

      # cat /proc/net/wireless
      Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
      face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 17
      eth2: 0000 0. 0. 0. 0 0 0 0 0 0

      >> iwconfig says me that I have only eth2 and I'm scanning it without
      >> results :-(((

      > What does "ifconfig" tell you?

      # ifconfig eth2
      eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
      inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
      Interrupt:17 Base address:0xe000 Memory:dcffd000-dcffdfff

      uhm, just now, I have noted the "inet6 address" I don't think it is the
      problem but I don't use IPv6, really strange.

      >> I think that I have to find the way to us the FN-F2 key to turn on the
      >> radio. Any other idea?

      > Play around with configuring FN-F2 later... after you have the wireless
      > working properly.

      Ok, I agree with you, what do you think from the date above, is it well
      configurated?

      thank you
      Walter
      --
      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699