26357RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Newb to Linux and an 8600

  • Haedn Thorn
    Mar 31, 2005
      --- "Marvin R. Pierce" <mpierce@...> wrote:

      > Haedn,
      > I've just got a similar machine to yours.
      > Inspiron 9300, M760, 2.0 Ghz, 2MB cache, 533MHz FSB,
      > 100Gb HD, 17"
      > UltraSharp Wide Sceen XGA, ATI Mobility Radeo X300
      > 128Mb Graphics,
      > Integrated 10/100 Broadcom Nic, Intel PR0/Wireless
      > 2915ABG, NEC DVD+-RW
      > ND-6500A, SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

      I think you've mistaken my answerring a question for
      someone elses request :P ... Mine is a 600m, 725
      (1.6GHz), yada-yada ... And Slackware 10.0 and up
      comes prebuilt to work with 2.6.x, I didn't have to
      install anything extra but the newer kernel, ATI
      drivers, and ipw2200 driver. ALSA works with the
      recompile...

      And not to be an jerk, but 10-12 minutes doesn't seem
      very fast ... I mean, I haven't actually timed a
      compile since 2.4.something on my dual-Xeon (90
      seconds is fast ;) ... but it doesn't seem like it
      takes that long ... I'd say 15 minutes including
      config time and rebooting into XP to keep my dual-boot
      happy. ...
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic