2587Re: 8000 + LINUX + W2K = many issues I need advice on

  • stuart@bh90210.net
    Feb 2, 2001
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Epstein <samiam@d...> wrote:
      > Stuart....
      >
      > I have the same machine... it runs great.
      >
      > 1) You needn't really upgrade the whole os... you could simply
      upgrade to
      > X4.

      I hear you on that, though I am curious about the stability and
      buglieness of RH7. Not to mention, I am most likely going to download
      a set of ISOs or buy a set of RH7 discs, even if all I do is install
      the XFree4 part.

      > 2) I've found that windows should go on first, with linux on the
      next
      > partition. Be aware that you will need to modify your Lilo config
      file to
      > make it compatible with it's bootsector being places above the first
      > 1024mb. The lilo readme will will explain that, or you can search
      on
      > redhat's sight. Should you have problems with lilo, I will be glad
      to send
      > you my file.

      I have heard these issues before, and I am curious about a few things
      here:

      a) Why is it windows should go first? What is the advantage?
      b) I was told that there are versions of lilo now that the 1024
      cylinder issues is now no longer an issue. Is that the file your
      talking about?

      > 3) The ATI mobility 4XAGP card kicks ass. The resolution on this
      thing is
      > unreal. Support via RedHat7 is wonderful.

      I have heard that the M4 is a butt-kicker. Mine is a 32MB version!
      I dont know how that helps me with a 1400x1050 LCD resolution, but I
      have heard its so good, I might actually look into getting some games
      to play (either under Linux or W2K).

      I guess I need to go to a store that specializes in computer games,
      or some gamer even to see all the stuff I can choose from. ATI M4 is
      supposed to be the gamers wet dream I hear.

      > 4) The audio is slightly tricky. Watch this group, as people talk
      about the
      > audio drivers contantly. It is my understanding that the latest
      OSS set
      > will work just fine. I haven't bothered to set mine up as of yet.

      I did go to the site you mention below (I had heard of it in a
      different message), and he doesnt discuss audio drivers there.

      But, http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000/ does discuss audio drivers (I
      just learned of that site recently), and the audio can be made to
      work.

      You must admit it is "odd" that RH7 does not include audio drivers
      for the Dell 8000, mainly because Dell and RH have agreed to work
      together to support Dell hardware. The 8000 (new, not refurbished),
      is able to be ordered with RH on it I thought. Maybe I am wrong.

      What are the drivers that defaultly come with RH6.2 or RH7, OSS?

      Thanks,

      Stuart
      Beverly Hills, CA

      > This link had all the information I needed to setup mine
      effectively.
      > http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000/
      >
      > stuart@b... wrote:
      >
      > > Dell Users:
      > >
      > > Recently (due to multiple repairs), Dell choose to swap out my
      > > system, and they upgraded me in the process. I used to have a
      7500,
      > > now I am running an 8000 (as of today). That being said, here are
      my
      > > concerns:
      > >
      > > (old) 7500 Configuration: 1400x1050 LCD, ATI RAGE 3D (8MB)
      > > I had RH 6.2 with X 3.3.6 running on it okay.
      > >
      > > (new) 8000:
      > >
      > > now has a Sony DVD/CD-RW on it (did not have it before)
      > > now has an "M4" ATI chipset (32MB)
      > >
      > > RH = RedHat
      > >
      > > 1) I want to get RH running with X on the 8000, am I best served
      > > upgrade to RH 7 (in order to get X 4 as well), what are the
      caveats
      > > to doing such an upgrade? What are the RH7 problems that are big
      > > right now?
      > >
      > > 2) I have W2K and Linux installed right now, Linux first in a
      primary
      > > partition, followed by W2K in an extended. The primary is 9GB in
      > > length. I was told "it would never work with W2K installed
      second",
      > > but somehow I got it going against popular beleive.
      > >
      > > What is the best way to have W2K and Linux installed? What types
      of
      > > partitions, the order, etc.?
      > >
      > > 3) How hard is it for RH7 to support the ATI M4?
      > > 4) How hard is it for RH7 to support the audio hardware in the
      8000?

      > > Any other items I ought be aware of?
      > >
      > > I am running A02 BIOS in the 8000, its also a 1400x1050 LCD.
      > >
      > > Stuart
      > > Beverly Hills, CA

      > Joel Epstein
      > Manager of Systems Integration