25506Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless A Few Quick ?

  • bil Jeschke
    Dec 1, 2004
      Looking at the card and the access point you should have little problem with file
      transfers since both are 11.g. I was just using the 11.b spec as a minimum
      reference point.
      I did a bit of googleing and saw the references to ndiswrapper for this card. I
      found a write up of the card a linuxquestions.org that says ndiswrapper works good
      with it.
      I tried ndiswrapper once with a different card, but using the version from debian
      did not work, installing from source worked better. But that was a few months ago,
      the debian version may work now, but the source is real easy to get going.

      http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1898
      --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 03:14 pm, bil Jeschke wrote:
      > > Well the access point does not need any drivers, so i guess you asking
      > > about the notebook card. Which card is it? You did not give the model
      > > number for it, but you may not need wlan depending on the chipset it uses.
      > > Also make sure wireless-tools is installed.
      > It is the Belkin F5D7010.
      > I read somewhere that this may need the ndiswrapper.
      > Should I get something else?
      > >
      > > For your kernel make sure you have Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA,
      > > ISA) ---> PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> <Y> PCMCIA/CardBus support
      > OK - I have that enabled for my Xircom card.
      > >
      > > And in; Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> Wireless LAN
      > > (non-hamradio) ---> [Y] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless
      > > Extensions
      > >
      > > And compile most of; Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) as modules.
      > OK
      > >
      > > Since the top speed for internet access is not above 8MB, then even 802.11b
      > > will not interfer with your web serfing with it's average speed of 6-8MB.
      > OK
      > Large file transfers will be slow between machines...
      > >
      > > --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
      > > > Tired of dragging blue cable around.
      > > > Using Libranet 2.8.1 (Debian Sarge) with kernel 2.6.9 on my notebook.
      > > > My server uses same OS with kernel 2.6.7.
      > > >
      > > > Server is the connection to Internet using an Alcatel ADSL modem with
      > > > 1500Mbs connection.
      > > >
      > > > Just purchased a Belkin 802.11g access point model F5D7330au and a Belkin
      > > > Wireless Notebook Network Cardbus.
      > > >
      > > > Before I open boxes - 3 questions.
      > > >
      > > > Q1. What do I have to compile into the kernel in order to support WLAN?
      > > >
      > > > Q2. Where do I get the drivers and what driver do I use to enable network
      > > > card to work.
      > > >
      > > > Q3. Will I notice any loss in connection speed to Internet.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > ---

      =====
      I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity