25502Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless A Few Quick ?

  • bil Jeschke
    Nov 30, 2004
      Well the access point does not need any drivers, so i guess you asking about the
      notebook card. Which card is it? You did not give the model number for it, but you
      may not need wlan depending on the chipset it uses. Also make sure wireless-tools
      is installed.

      For your kernel make sure you have Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) --->
      PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> <Y> PCMCIA/CardBus support

      And in; Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
      ---> [Y] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions

      And compile most of; Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) as modules.

      Since the top speed for internet access is not above 8MB, then even 802.11b will not
      interfer with your web serfing with it's average speed of 6-8MB.

      --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

      > Tired of dragging blue cable around.
      > Using Libranet 2.8.1 (Debian Sarge) with kernel 2.6.9 on my notebook.
      > My server uses same OS with kernel 2.6.7.
      >
      > Server is the connection to Internet using an Alcatel ADSL modem with 1500Mbs
      > connection.
      >
      > Just purchased a Belkin 802.11g access point model F5D7330au and a Belkin
      > Wireless Notebook Network Cardbus.
      >
      > Before I open boxes - 3 questions.
      >
      > Q1. What do I have to compile into the kernel in order to support WLAN?
      >
      > Q2. Where do I get the drivers and what driver do I use to enable network card
      > to work.
      >
      > Q3. Will I notice any loss in connection speed to Internet.
      >
      > Thanks
      > ---

      =====
      I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity