25492Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: x video problem with i815e

  • ken
    Nov 30, 2004
      moon2js wrote:

      >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
      >

      >> <>But I would first try something like
      >
      >>find /usr/X11R6/lib/Server/drivers -type f -exec grep -H \
      >>'horizontal\|vertical\|sync' {} \;
      >>

      >That certainly seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing. But the
      >ditrectory tree on my system is different from the one you describe.
      >So I can't poke around as you've suggested.

      Well then, do

      find / -ipath \*/drivers/\* |less

      and scroll through the output to see if there's anything under a
      directory called 'X' or 'xorg' or 'X11R6', note the directories and
      modify the starting point for the above 'find' command accordingly.

      >>But it might be simpler than that. Maybe you've just got the wrong
      >>driver installed.
      >>

      >I really wish it were simply a matter of a driver, but I have a
      >feeling I'm using the right one. For every distro I've tried on this
      >system and all online documentation I've seen suggest that I should
      >use the i810 driver for this 815em video card.

      Have you googled around for your specific video card? There must be
      someone else on the planet who has been trying to run Linux on it.

      >>Now there's also GUI tools available for configuring the screen.
      >>

      >Try
      >

      >>xvidtune. There's probably a few others too.
      >>

      >I ran xvidtune, but as I'm rather new to all this, I was hesitant to
      >mess with things. Graphically, everything works fine EXCEPT video, and
      >given my lack of experience, I'm afraid to rock the boat.
      >
      >When I get back to my system, I'll poke around it again, but is there
      >any resources that I could take a look at so I have an idea of what I
      >have to change? It's got to be more difficult than just pulling the
      >xvidtune's "horizontal" bar...

      I think that way quite a bit... dismiss a course of action because it
      seems impossibly easy. So I understand perfectly what you're going
      through. So how about we do this...

      Edit /etc/initab, specifically the line which says "id:5:initdefault:";
      change the '5' to a '3'. This will make your system boot to the console
      rather than into X. (Of course to get it to boot back into X, reverse
      this change.) But then while you're still in X, try "xvidtune". If it
      messes things up, you can do a nice reboot ("man shutdown") into the
      console (no X), still use your system, albeit without the GUI, and
      reinstall X. If the drive for difficulty is really strong, you could
      even do the reinstall from source code. As said previously, I haven't
      used gentoo (though have done a bit of Debian), so couldn't assist much
      with the reinstall.

      hth,
      ken

      --