25297Re: ndiswrapper, Inspiron XPS and TrueMobile 1300

  • Robert
    Nov 1, 2004
      hmm that sounds like what happened the first time I tried ndiswrapper,
      I also overwrote my ifcfg file through yast.

      I did to things to fix the issue...

      I complied the newest ndiswrapper from their site.

      I also found an older driver they recommended... ndiswrapper's site
      has a list of drivers that you can download.

      checkout:
      http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/List

      This was all on 9.1 nut I can't imagine 9.2 is that much different.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Mat R" <riain@o...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the tip...
      >
      > It actually worked first time around - to my delight I was up and
      > surfing the net. I couldn't ping any local addresses, oddly enough,
      > but it was better than nothing.
      >
      > However, I couldn't leave well enough alone and I tried to edit the
      > ifcfg file to allow for a static IP. I was no longer able to access
      > the internet after that.
      >
      > To confound things I went into yast to see how the system viewed the
      > card... This generated a new ifcfg file and overwrote my original
      > settings.
      >
      > I have since gone back and recreated the original ifcfg file, but no
      > luck. Whenever I type ifup wlan0, the dhcp request just times out.
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <falcatemoon@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Well first you should attempt turning off all wep from the router and
      > > run it open just to see if it is working. I found that certain
      > > routers, like my netgear does not work with linux with wep turned on,
      > > however my 3com at work works fine.
      > >
      > > Secondly you need to create a ifcfg file for your card and router.
      > >
      > > here is mine for example:
      > > File Name:
      > > ifcfg-wlan0
      > > Contents:
      > > ######################
      > > BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
      > > DHCLIENT_SET_DOWN_LINK='yes'
      > > MTU=''
      > > REMOTE_IPADDR=''
      > > STARTMODE='manual'
      > > UNIQUE=''
      > > WIRELESS_ESSID='Your ID Here'
      > > WIRELESS_KEY='Your Key Here, leave blank if not using wep'
      > > WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
      > > WIRELESS_NICK=''
      > > WIRELESS_NWID=''
      > > ######################
      > >
      > > copy this file to:
      > > /etc/sysconfig/network/
      > >
      > > To access your network:
      > > run the following commands...
      > > (usually as root)
      > > modprobe ndiswrapper
      > > ifup wlan0 wlan0
      > >
      > > if you do not get an ip at first run dhcpcd, I dot not ever need to
      > > run this though.
      > >
      > > You can configure modprobe to load this at start up but I do not do
      > > this (so I no longer remember how to) as I connect to several wireless
      > > networks.
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Mat R" <riain@o...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello!
      > > >
      > > > I successfully installed SuSE 9.2 (I work for a Novell partner and
      > > got
      > > > an advance release) on my XPS, and I am just a step away from
      > > getting
      > > > the WiFi to work. I can't figure out what step I'm missing...
      > > >
      > > > I installed ndiswrapper during the default install, loaded the
      > > driver
      > > > for my card and I am able to see it successfully loaded. Iwconfig
      > > > reports that wlan0 is up, and if I run iwlist wlan0 scan I can see
      > > my
> [...]
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic