25291Re: ndiswrapper, Inspiron XPS and TrueMobile 1300

  • Mat R
    Nov 1, 2004
      Thanks for the tip...

      It actually worked first time around - to my delight I was up and
      surfing the net. I couldn't ping any local addresses, oddly enough,
      but it was better than nothing.

      However, I couldn't leave well enough alone and I tried to edit the
      ifcfg file to allow for a static IP. I was no longer able to access
      the internet after that.

      To confound things I went into yast to see how the system viewed the
      card... This generated a new ifcfg file and overwrote my original
      settings.

      I have since gone back and recreated the original ifcfg file, but no
      luck. Whenever I type ifup wlan0, the dhcp request just times out.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <falcatemoon@y...>
      wrote:

      > Well first you should attempt turning off all wep from the router and
      > run it open just to see if it is working. I found that certain
      > routers, like my netgear does not work with linux with wep turned on,
      > however my 3com at work works fine.
      >
      > Secondly you need to create a ifcfg file for your card and router.
      >
      > here is mine for example:
      > File Name:
      > ifcfg-wlan0
      > Contents:
      > ######################
      > BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
      > DHCLIENT_SET_DOWN_LINK='yes'
      > MTU=''
      > REMOTE_IPADDR=''
      > STARTMODE='manual'
      > UNIQUE=''
      > WIRELESS_ESSID='Your ID Here'
      > WIRELESS_KEY='Your Key Here, leave blank if not using wep'
      > WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
      > WIRELESS_NICK=''
      > WIRELESS_NWID=''
      > ######################
      >
      > copy this file to:
      > /etc/sysconfig/network/
      >
      > To access your network:
      > run the following commands...
      > (usually as root)
      > modprobe ndiswrapper
      > ifup wlan0 wlan0
      >
      > if you do not get an ip at first run dhcpcd, I dot not ever need to
      > run this though.
      >
      > You can configure modprobe to load this at start up but I do not do
      > this (so I no longer remember how to) as I connect to several wireless
      > networks.
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Mat R" <riain@o...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello!
      > >
      > > I successfully installed SuSE 9.2 (I work for a Novell partner and
      > got
      > > an advance release) on my XPS, and I am just a step away from
      > getting
      > > the WiFi to work. I can't figure out what step I'm missing...
      > >
      > > I installed ndiswrapper during the default install, loaded the
      > driver
      > > for my card and I am able to see it successfully loaded. Iwconfig
      > > reports that wlan0 is up, and if I run iwlist wlan0 scan I can see
      > my
      > > access point. I tried giving wlan0 an IP address through ifconfig,
      > > but I am still unable to see/ping anything.
      > >
      > > When I shut the system down, it complained that wlan0 had no
      > > profile... Can someone point me in the right direction?
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic