247358500 w/ Slack 10.0 ACPI, Hotplug, and ALSA Questions

  • Matthew
    Aug 2, 2004
      I've got Slackware 10.0 running just fine on a Inspiron 8500. I've
      got two main issues, though.

      The first is I have no clue how to setup acpid to properly throttle
      down my CPU to 50% when on the battery. I don't really care about
      using suspend. I just want to know how to throttle down the CPU
      automatically, and if there is any way for me to change it myself if I
      ever want to.

      The second is that I've been playing around with booting without using
      hotplug. I have to use a REALLY UGLY hack in my rc.local to get the
      sound working. I'm not sure why I have to do this. There is
      something going on with hotplug and udev related to creating the
      devices in /dev. My question is what do I need to do/change to make
      my sound work without using hotplug and without using this ugly hack
      that follows.

      I modprobe all the kernel modules I need in rc.modules (these are the
      same modules that hotplug loads):

      /sbin/modprobe acpi
      /sbin/modprobe thermal
      /sbin/modprobe ac
      /sbin/modprobe battery
      /sbin/modprobe button
      /sbin/modprobe processor
      /sbin/modprobe evdev
      /sbin/modprobe pcmcia_core
      /sbin/modprobe yenta_socket
      /sbin/modprobe ds
      /sbin/modprobe ieee1394
      /sbin/modprobe ohci1394
      /sbin/modprobe mii
      /sbin/modprobe b44
      /sbin/modprobe soundcore
      /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
      /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-device
      /sbin/modprobe snd-rawmidi
      /sbin/modprobe snd-mpu401-uart
      /sbin/modprobe gameport
      /sbin/modprobe snd-page-alloc
      /sbin/modprobe snd-timer
      /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm
      /sbin/modprobe snd-ac97-codec
      /sbin/modprobe snd-intel8x0
      /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd
      /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd
      /sbin/modprobe intel_agp
      /sbin/modprobe ohci_hcd
      /sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
      /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss

      I also have my modules.conf setup for ALSA:

      alias char-major-195 nvidia

      # ALSA portion
      alias char-major-116 snd
      alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
      # module options should go here
      options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
      options snd-intel8x0 index=0

      # OSS/Free portion
      alias char-major-14 soundcore
      alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

      # card #1
      alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
      alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
      alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
      alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
      alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

      But I have to do the following in my rc.local to get the sound to
      work. This is a VERY ugly hack:

      #!/bin/sh
      #
      # /etc/rc.d/rc.local: Local system initialization script.
      #
      # Put any local setup commands in here:

      cp /root/snd /dev -R
      chmod +rwx /dev/snd/*
      chown <user> /dev/snd/*

      cp /root/sound /dev -R
      chmod +rwx /dev/sound/*
      chown <user> /dev/sound/*

      alsactl restore

      Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Matt