24440Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Can't mount/read DVDs

  • Simon Harris
    Jul 1, 2004
      Gus,

      Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all configured. I can read/burn
      CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just don't get recognised.
      I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(

      Simon

      On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:36:04 -0700 (PDT), Gus Wiening
      <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:

      > --- simon@... wrote:
      >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel
      >> with UDEV. I don't
      >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
      >> work just fine. If I
      >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get:
      >> no medium found.
      >>
      >> Any perls of wisdom?
      >
      > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up properly in
      > your fstab, right?
      >
      > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to make
      > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build it
      > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that a.
      > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
      >
      > Hope that helps
      >
      > =====
      > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      > Though down that road we've been so many times...
      > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Simon Harris