23438Re: [linux-dell-laptops] RH9 stole my connectivity!

  • Michael Lindsey
    Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Arani and ex0@...--
      ex0-- you were right! If I shutdown the machine
      altogether, the NIC works fine for XP. But if I
      reboot to switch OSs, the problem pops up again.
      Thanks so much--my wife is saved from having to use
      Linux (F.U.D. victim).
      Arani--I didn't try to use the modem; I live in
      Bulgaria, where we don't even bother with the
      land-line telephones. If you mean the driver for the
      network card, I got it from Broadcom's at:
      http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php?cookiecheck=1
      It's the BCM4401 driver. After you decompress the
      archive, the README file gives install instructions.
      It was a snap.
      It looks like I need to thoroughly go over Steffen's
      recommendations in his posting.

      Thanks,
      Mike Lindsey

      --- Arani Sinha <sinha@...> wrote:
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > Did you get your modem to work?
      >
      > Where did you find the driver? I have been trying
      > for a while.
      >
      > Thanks a lot,
      >
      > Arani
      >
      > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, michaelclindsey wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all,
      > > I finally managed to force XP to give up enough
      > space today to
      > > co-exist with RH9 on my Inspiron 1100. I
      > installed the BroadCom
      > > driver, and am proud to say I'm writing this email
      > from my Linux
      > > install. But when I try and use the Internet from
      > XP now, it's gone!
      > > Settings are the same as they've always been. I
      > just don't
      > > understand it.
      > >
      > > Thanks for any advice,
      > >
      > > Mike Lindsey
      > >

      > > [ Inspiron 1100 Red Hat 9 BroadCom 4401 Windows XP
      > dual boot ]

      > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP,
      > Epson, Canon or Lexmark
      > > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or
      > more to the US & Canada.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/s5T0lB/TM

      =====
      Yo, this is the new email address. @... will go away after August 1st ...