23400Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Connecting external drive to my Dell Linux machine

  • AthlonRob
    Feb 26, 2004
      On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 02:16, R F wrote:

      > I have an external harddrive that is NTFS partitioned. When I
      > connect it to my laptop (running Linux 8.2) the drive mounts and I
      > can access the files only if I'm logged in as root. Also once I've
      > connected I can only read files on the drive. I can't copy or delete.

      I think I know what is wrong. It likely has something to do with the
      time traveling procedure your laptop went through to get to you. Linux
      8.2, which will probably be released within the next six decades,
      probably will no longer have support for (then) ancient hardware like
      hard drives. If it happens to work, count your blessings.

      Rob

      (hint - Linux is the kernel, you meant either RedHat 8.2, Mandrake 8.2,
      or something else 8.2 - most of us are *not* using RedHat)
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic