23377Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Connecting external drive to my Dell Linux machine

  • Bill Bailey
    Feb 26, 2004
      I would also caution against trying to delete and or write to this drive it could very well prove to be a major issue.

      IbericoVespucio wrote:
      R F escribía: [[linux-dell-laptops] Connecting external drive to my Dell Linux machine], el 26 de febrero de 2004 a las 10:16:26 (-0000)

      Hi,
       I have an external harddrive that is NTFS partitioned. When I
      connect it to my laptop (running Linux 8.2) the drive mounts and I
      can access the files only if I'm logged in as root. Also once I've
      connected I can only read files on the drive. I can't copy or delete.

      Could anyone offer some advice on what the cause might be and how I
      can fis the problem?

      I'd really like to be able to access the drive with my normal login
      also.

      Try mounting with -o umask=0000

      You can add the option in your fstab as

      /dev/sda1       /mnt/sda1       vfat    defaults,user,umask=000

        Ángel.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic