23021RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: If you have an Inspiron 1100 Please read.

  • Duke A. Darrigo II
    Feb 3, 2004
      Cheezefist,

      You took the words out of my mouth. Damien TY very much for that site , I
      know it has been a great resource for me getting linux up and running so
      that I can "play" now =). Thank you very much

      >From: "cheezefist" <b.gomes@...>
      >To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: If you have an Inspiron 1100 Please read.
      >Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 04:20:52 -0000
      >
      >Damien,
      >
      >I agree that intel deserves blame for their part. What was really
      >getting to me is that for as much as Dell has control over the issue
      >they could have corrected by changing the VBIOS image (one was
      >available).
      >
      >But I know Dell is a good company so I was pretty confident that the
      >issue would get resolved once someone high enough caught wind of this.
      >
      >I have to thank you personally for your website, without it a lot of
      >us Inspiron 1100 users would have a much more difficult time running
      >Linux.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >-Cheezefist
      >
      >PS> Do you work for Dell? (You don't have to answer that)
      >

      >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
      ><dsolley@s...> wrote:
      > > cheezefist wrote:
      > > > I am currently working hard to pester Dell to resolve the BIOS issue
      > > > with the Inspiron 1100 line. I would appreciate any and all help you
      > > > can provide me.
      > > >
      > > > The basis of my argument to Dell is that the BIOS previously worked
      > > > fine in version A06, and since changing to the A2x BIOS images it
      >broke.
      > > >
      > > > In other words: Everything (regarding video memory) worked correctly
      > > > in BIOS image A06, After upgrading to a BIOS image A2x what used to
      > > > work (memory allocation) no longer works, thus it is broken and they
      > > > (Dell) has a responsibility to fix it.
      > > >
      > > > I also pointed out to them that Intel, manufacturer of the graphics
      > > > and chipsets has a solution on their site that states that video BIOS
      > > > images are available to correct this problem, contact your manufacture
      > > > and ask them for a new BIOS image with a working version of Intel's
      >

      > > > Video BIOS.
      > > >
      > > > Refer to: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/graphics.htm
      > > >
      > > > Open a case and demand that they spin a rev of the BIOS that will
      > > > correct this problem as per the Intel link above. Once you get a
      > > > case/ticket number keep pestering them, try to e-mail Michael Dell,
      > > > and other executives and politely encourage them to do the right
      > > > thing. Make sure you include your case/ticket number in your e-mails
      > > > to the Dell executives.
      > > >
      > > > Linux users have for too long accepted the role of being 2nd class
      > > > cyber-citizens. It is time for that to change.
      > > >
      > > > Please let's all make an effort to do this.
      > > >
      > > > -Cheezefist
      > > >

      > > I know what a pain it was for this BIOS upgrade to break video support
      > > (I was in the middle of my exams when I upgraded). However, I'm
      > > wondering if it's more the fault of Intel not releasing the I845G specs
      > > to XFree86 people that is causing the problems. And they made the major
      > > changes to the 2980 video BIOS in the first place. XFree86 v4.4 will
> [...]

      Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!