23012Update: If you have an Inspiron 1100 Please read.

  • cheezefist
    Feb 2, 2004
      A Gentleman from Dell contacted me today to let me know that they were
      going to try and get another version of VBIOS in an upcoming release
      of the BIOS for the 1100.

      They said the new BIOS image should correct that one issue.

      I'll update the group here again when I have word that the new BIOS is
      available.

      -Cheezefist

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
      > I know what a pain it was for this BIOS upgrade to break video support
      > (I was in the middle of my exams when I upgraded). However, I'm
      > wondering if it's more the fault of Intel not releasing the I845G specs
      > to XFree86 people that is causing the problems. And they made the major
      > changes to the 2980 video BIOS in the first place. XFree86 v4.4 will
      > (should) support the new 2980 Intel video BIOS fine, it's just that we
      > upgraded our BIOSes a little ahead of them supporting the new BIOS.
      >
      > I'm not really sure where the fault lies (I'm no programmer), but I
      am a
      > little more hesitant to lump the blame squarely on Dell than I
      > originally was.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Damien
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic