22637Re: Sound for Sigmatel (Insperon 8500) NO DISTORTION!!!!

  • turkeynip
    Jan 7, 2004
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>

      http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

      > > > Then the standard ('alsamixer' and 'alsactl store' to set the
      levels,
      > > > and all that's left is a distortion at levels above 78% through PCM)
      > >
      > > With maximum output level on my 8200 (also a sigmatel of some kind
      > > aparently) i've always had that - I think its a hardware problem. I
      > just
      > > keep the main out turned down to about 1/2 way.
      > >
      > > - Steve
      >
      > But I don't think I had a problem in windows with it...maybe ALSA
      > needs to work on their drivers, because when I used striclty OSS, in
      > kernel 2.4.22 I don't think I had any problems either. *shrug*
      >
      > I'm just glad I can listen to music once again...

      Ok, I've been messing around with my sound for days now trying to get
      PCM/master stuff to work (See my post on "PCM anyone?").

      In messing around, I've found a way to get rid of the distortion.

      1) Run 'alsamixer'
      2) Change PCM Out to 'post 3D' (up arrow), this will nix your pcm
      support though.
      3) So you can still control your volume if it isn't controlable
      through the "Master", configure the ALSA plugin in xmms so that the
      mixer device is "Headphone".

      Hopefully this is where my solution for PCM problems will reside.

      Let me know if it works.

      Best of luck!
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic