22611Re: AC3 pass-through with I8200

  • Raffael Herzog
    Jan 6, 2004
      Hi Max,

      On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:14:22 -0500, Max Baker <max@...> wrote:

      > Two things :
      >
      > 1. Where is there and S/PDIF output on this machine??

      Shipped with the I8200 there was a dongle that can be plugged on the left
      side between the DVD drive and the NIC/modem. This dongle provides three
      more plugs: S-Video and Composite for TV-Out, and a coaxial S/PDIF output.

      > 2. DON'T buy the Extigy. I have an i8200 as well and have had
      > nothing
      > but problems with the extigy. In windows and especially in Linux. In
      > Windows
      > I get random lockups, in Linux I wrestle with the drivers for days and
      > eventually it works, but then locks up. Unplug the Extigy and
      > everything is
      > fine. I believe it has somethign to do with either A) The Extigy is
      > crap
      > (they lied on the box, it doesn't do 24 bit AT ALL!) or B) The USB
      > Chipset on
      > the i8200 doesnt like the Creative, and/or is crap. Kinda the same vein
      > as
      > all the USB mouse problems people have with our machines.

      What USB mouse problems? Whatever mouse I plug in, no matter if it's
      Logitech, Microsoft or Sun, it works like a charm...

      Anyway, did you use the "normal" USB audio driver or the Extigy driver
      available at

      http://www.cs.umass.edu/~cochran/

      ? It sounds like he's got the Extigy fully working, including the remote
      control and AC3 pass-through.

      > And I would
      > die to know how to get an s/pdif output from this machine ;-)

      Well, I already described where the output is. Getting this thing working
      is actually very straight-forward if you're using the current ALSA
      version. It worked for me with 0.9.8, 1.0rc1 did not work, 1.0rc2 works
      again. Simply fire up the mixer, mute the master channel to disable the
      internal speakers and unmute the IEC958 channel. Connect the laptop to
      your receiver using a coaxial cable and there you are! I don't know what
      the "IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA" channel is for, it doesn't seem to have
      any effect, no matter what I set this to.

      Note that you can't get any CD sound directly from the drive. If you're
      using XMMS to play CDs, select "Digital Audio-Exraction" (not sure how
      it's called in english, I translated that from german) in the settings for
      the CD audio plug-in to be able to play CDs.

      CU & HTH,
      Raffi

      --
      The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no
      difference, but in practice, there is.

      Raffael Herzog - herzog@... - www.raffael.ch - ICQ #67961355
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic