21703Dual boot on dell 500m (Mandrake 9.2/WinXP Pro)

  • prima6
    Nov 4, 2003
      Hi I've just purchased an Inspiron 500m. It came with WinXP Home
      which I removed and did a clean install of Win XP Pro.

      Hard disk size 60GB.
      I plan to use BootIt NG to partition and set up the boot partitions
      for the dual boot.

      Is there any one who has done a similar setup before and who has
      documented the procedure? I've never messed with linux before,
      although i am familiar with unix.

      I plan to partition as follows:
      Memory : 256MB (single slot, to upgrade to 768MB)
      Disk space: 60GB HDD
      Available : 55.8 GB
      Free space : 52.0 GB (after WinXP Pro installed)

      Partition allocations:
      Windows XP Pro : 25 GB (NTFS)
      Linux : 15 GB (EXT2)
      Swap : ~1 GB (it's a bit much I know, prolly 768MB)
      File Share: 15 GB (FAT32)

      Does that look ok? Anything else I should watch out for or plan
      before the partition/install?
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic