20952Re: Redhat-config, RH9 on I8K Slowness

  • Michael C.
    Sep 1, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, AthlonRob <athlonrob@a...>
      wrote:

      > I really don't think Dell Inspirons - any of them... run a 66MHz PCI bus
      > for their IDE controllers. As such, I would suggest removing the
      > idebus=66 part of your grub.conf.
      >
      > I would also get rid of that -X66 junk.
      >
      > Now that you've enabled DMA, et al, on the disk with that hdparm line in
      > your rc.local file ... does DMA actually get enabled? What's the output
      > of hdparm /dev/hda?
      >
      > > get around 10 MB/s for the buffered reads (the second reading when
      > > doing an hdparm -tT), which I've read is pretty bad. Basically, my
      >
      > I'm only getting 19MB/sec on this thing... still almost twice what you
      > get, but not that significant. Laptop harddrives just tend to be slower
      > than snot on a cold winter day....

      Not too bad - I'm running a 2.4.20-19.9 kernel, RH9, with a 7200rpm
      Hitachi 2.5" HD - getting:

      /dev/hda:
      Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.34 seconds =376.47 MB/sec
      Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.72 seconds = 37.21 MB/sec

      michael c.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic