20947Re: c400 external drive bay

  • Justin Georgeson
    Sep 1, 2003
      Ah, your modular bay is part of the laptop itself, yes? Mine is not
      built into the laptop, it connects with a cable. I can't swap the
      drive in the bay without unplugging the cable from the back of the
      bay. I can't see why that would make a difference as the actual drives
      are likely the same for both laptops, but it is a glaring difference.
      Does Gentoo have a specific laptop configuration or utility set? I
      know Debian does, and if RedHat does, I'm not immediately aware of it.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Brock Campbell <brock@a...>
      wrote:
      > Inspiron 4150, Gentoo and I guess I used the wrong term. I swap the
      > expansion bay drive while running. Just make sure it's unmounted and pop
      > it out.
      >
      > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 18:53, Justin Georgeson wrote:
      > > Forgot to check, what distribution of Linux are you using? And what
      > > laptop are you using it on? And lastly, how do you hotswap internal
      > > drives?
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Brock Campbell <brock@a...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > In general, I believe that as long as you can dismount the drive,
      > > you
      > > > are safe to remove it. That's what I do with my internal drives.
      > > Windows
      > > > needs a utility to remove them, because it automounts everything it
      > > > sees.

      > > bay

      > > Service.
      > > > --
      > > > Brock Campbell
      > > > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
      > > > --- Accelerated Technology ---
      > > > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
      > > > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > > Click Here!

      > Brock Campbell
      > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
      > --- Accelerated Technology ---
      > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
      > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic