20943Re: [linux-dell-laptops] falrue to boot from Installation CD on Inspiron 4150

  • Alhad Purnapatre
    Sep 1, 2003
      I myself installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 on Inspiron
      5100, and it worked like a charm. Is your other OS
      some linux distro? It should boot off the CD just
      fine, as long as you have gone into setup and changed
      the boot order so that your DVD is the first bootable
      device. Otherwise, you may have to get one of the
      latest distro CDs.
      Good luck,
      Alhad.

      > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 15:46, apurv_gupta_2000 wrote:
      > > Hi:
      > >
      > > First, I apologize if this is not the right forum.
      >
      > > I purchased a dell Inspiron 4150 and am trying to
      > make it a dual boot
      > > machine. I have a DVD-ROM drive.
      > >
      > > Attempts to boot from the drive with the
      > installation disk are
      > > failing. Also, booting into windows and trying to
      > ls the contents of
      > > the disk fail with the error message: "the disk is
      > not formatted
      > > properly or uses a format unknown to windows".
      > >
      > > I know that the CD is good [I was able to install
      > on my desktop: a
      > > Micron PC].
      > > Also, the DVD/CD drive is good since I can view
      > other disks and read
      > > data from them.
      > >
      > > Also, ls d:\ works on my desktop.
      > >
      > > I am wondering if the Inspiron machines have a
      > different
      > > configuration [like bus connect to CD drive?] that
      > requires a
      > > different solution?
      > >
      > > TIA,
      > > apurv
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > > Click
      > Here!

      > Terms of Service.
      > --
      > Brock Campbell
      > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery
      > --
      > --- Accelerated Technology ---
      > -- brock@... (306)222-2259 --
      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com