20928Re: MBR problem/Dual Boot

  • astuermer2001
    Aug 31, 2003
      Hello there,

      thanks to all replies so far. as i reinstalled linux (no update from
      8.0), i simply
      accepted the default boot-loader option of GRUB.
      I checked the status of my xp-partition with cfdisk and it was
      initially a (visible)
      ntfs partition (as it should be, correct?)
      since i`ve played around with manually editing my /boot/grub/menu.lst
      according to
      what damien advised and what i'd seen in numerous other places on the
      web. last
      attempt was:
      title windows
      rootnoverify (hd0,1)
      makeactive
      chainloader +1
      seemed to help, as now the booting of windows would start - but then
      i get an error
      "autocheck program not found" and boot terminates. cfdisk now tells
      me the
      xp-partition is a hidden ntfs and "bootable". just as i was about to
      assume i?d have
      to reinstall xp i found something on another group that seems to be
      exactly the
      problem i'm having:
      http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2003/07/3/66137
      apparantly the resolution was simply unhiding the partition with
      cfdisk. my
      question now is though: is that really a safe thing to do? read
      somewhere else,
      that might not be a good idea...
      again, thanks for the help so far!
      greetz,
      arne

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, iriXx <dev_null@i...>
      wrote:
      > ahhh this sounds all too familiar.
      >
      > i suspect you've ended up with a hidden XP partition. its one of
      those
      > joys of microspaz.
      >
      > boot into linux and run cfdisk.
      >
      > choose 'type'
      >
      > and make sure the type of partition for XP is set to
      visible/unhidden,
      > FAT32 or whatever yours is supposed to be (it might have been NTFS)
      >
      > be VERY careful....
      >
      > good luck
      >
      > m~
      >
      > astuermer2001 wrote:
      >
      > > Hey there,
      > > hoping someone here will be able to help me with a problem I'm
      having with
      > > dual booting on my Dell Inspiron 8200...
      > > I installed SuSE 8.2 alongside my XP Home, wanting to emulate the
      dual
      > > booting set-up I had previously with SuSE 8.0, ie. using the XP
      boot-loader.
      > > Must've screwed something up, cause I get the black screen with
      blinking
      > > cursor after start-up and go nowhere from there. Thankfully I
      can use Linux,
      > > booting through the Installation DVD's. Seems there's no way to
      fix the MBR
      > > with the XP-Recovery CD (for me), as the admin password required
      does not
      > > seem to be identival to that of the admin user... Or am I wrong?
      MS online
      > > help only works for me if I could get at my XP Control Panels...
      Is it a risk to
      > > just reinstall Linux and let it write LILO or GRUB to the MBR?
      What's the best
      > > way forward?
      > > Thanks for any help you can give me!
      > > Cheers, Arne

      /docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > |\ _,,,---,,_
      > ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ HTTP 503: Too Busy
      >

      > "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are
      > subtle and will piss on your computer."
      > -- Bruce Graham
      >

      > Musicians say No to RIAA Persecution and Prosecution of Music
      Lovers!

      > Sign the petition at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/
      >

      > .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic