19206Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: My laptop's intrusive noisy fan

  • Norbert Preining
    May 5, 2003
      On Mon, 05 Mai 2003, darrenwhite_uk wrote:
      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8k <TAB>
      > i8kbuttons i8kctl i8kfan i8kmon
      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kbuttons
      > unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k[darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kctl

      Do you have a kernel with i8k support running? The whole stuff only
      works with a kernel and a userland side. THe program you are starting is
      supposed to read information from the kernel driver...

      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kmon
      > /usr/bin/i8kmon: line 23: exec: tclsh: not found
      > that ependencies are missing when they are not or it puts this in

      What about thinking that the dependencies really ARE dependencies. You
      have to install tcl/tk (tclsh) for running i8kmon, but it is useless as
      long as there is no kernel running ...

      > Anyway how do I get this i8kutils thing working?

      I have it working, compile your own kernel, I don't know wether your
      linux distribution ships a kernel with i8k support.

      Best wishes

      Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universit├Ąt Wien
      SADBERGE (n.)
      A violent green shrub which is ground up, mixed with twigs and
      gelatine and served with clonmult (q.v.) and buldoo (q.v.) in a
      container referred to for no known reason as a 'relish tray'.
      --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic