19187Re: [linux-dell-laptops] My laptop's intrusive noisy fan

  • Damon Davison
    May 4, 2003
      Under Linux, you can control the fans with several tools: gkrellm
      uses i8kfan to control the fans according to temperature
      thresholds you choose. The kind of behavior you describe most
      often occurs (assuming no defect) when the laptop is either on
      surface that does not let the heat dissipate, or when the fans
      are blocked.

      If nothing else helps, look at the Apple PowerBooks and iBooks.
      They are the quietest laptops I have ever (not) heard.

      Best,

      Damon

      --

      Damon Allen Davison