19164Re: Dell I-2650 Dual Boot (RH Linux and XP)

  • Eswar Prakash
    May 1, 2003
      Randy,

      Yes you are right, everything is fine right now. I am able to work
      fine with both systems, and I have even mounted my WinXP disk in
      LINUX. I am getting somewhere :) still lots to learn eh? Coming from a
      pure M$ background, I should say I am overwhelmed by all the stuff
      that Linux provides. Yet it is a thrill ride for me.

      One more question. I am sure you have an Ethernet card and USB ports
      in your system. OK, here is the situation. I am using a USB based
      cable modem. When I restart after plugging in the USB modem, I get the
      modem mapped to "eth0" and my loopback "localhost" seems to have
      "disappeared". After starting httpd (Apache Webserver) I am not able
      to connect "localhost" through my web browser. I know that I can
      configure my cable modem to use eth1 and let eth0 alone.

      Anyone knowledged in this respect?

      Thanks,
      Eswar

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Perkins"
      <randyperkins@r...> wrote:

      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > >    Anyone did this combination of Linux install before? RH
      > > install warned me that "Boot configuration may not suite your
      > > system, boot disk recommended" I panicked and DIDN'T make a
      /boot
      > > partition. I know that I have done something stupid there. I am
      new to
      > > Linux
      > > world. So, what do you recommend as a solution, also what is that
      > > warning all about?
      > >
      > >    I would also like to know, if my Old data will get
      > > corrupted/destroyed on a failed Linux installation, like will I be
      able
      > > to boot into WinXP until I solve this problem?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Eswar
      > >

      > hello
      >
      > i have a dual boot rh9 and winxp
      >
      > i never make a boot partition
      > i usually see a message similar to what you mention when
      > my / partition is not in the first 1024 cylinders.
      > i have never had a problem.
      > if i was a betting man, and i am, i would say you should be ok.
      >
      > now there is a difference between a /boot partition,
      > and a boot disk. a boot disk is always helpfull.
      >

      > Since i have no idea how you installed linux, i cant comment
      > on your winxp situation. i imagine you have rebooted by now
      > and know where you are at. write back if you have more details
      > of your situation.
      >
      > see ya
      >
      > randy
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic