18588Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
    Apr 1, 2003
      On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:55:30 +0800
      Adam Lowry <adam@...> wrote:

      > This is not entirely true. startx does not use insmod or modprobe; it
      > makes a request to the kernel module loader. If NVdriver is not loaded
      > at startup (which is perfectly acceptable and has no ill effects) then
      > it will look for the character device 195. If you're running the
      > nvidia driver 3123 or less, the line to add to modules.conf is
      > alias char-major-195 NVdriver
      > If you're using > 3123, use
      > alias char-major-195 nvidia
      > just like Mr. Trickett stated.

      What part of what I said do you believe to be wrong?

      I said loading NVdriver is part of startx. I said you don't need to load
      NVdriver before doing startx.

      Both of these are repeatably, verifiably correct.

      What you said about char-major is true but I didn't address that.

      Kevin
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic