18579Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
    Apr 1, 2003
      On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:32:47 -0800 (PST)
      "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:

      > There are two parts of the nvidia driver. One is the kernel module,
      > >which needs to be loaded before startx. The second is the X driver
      > >>which is loaded in your XF86Config file.

      The NVIDIA kernel module does NOT need to be loaded before startx. That
      was the whole point of my message.

      I just verified this by leaving the X environment and removing NVdriver
      with rmmod. Then I did "startx" and it came up just fine.

      Once again, NVdriver does NOT need to be loaded before starting X. If X
      is properly configured loading the driver is part of starting X.

      Kevin
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic