18577Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Apr 1, 2003

      There are two parts of the nvidia driver. One is the kernel module, which needs to be loaded before startx. The second is the X driver which is loaded in your XF86Config file.

      Under slackware (which doesn't help much if you're using a different distro which basically sets everything up for you), you would add "/usr/sbin/modprobe nvidia" (I believe that's the path to modprobe...? not on a linux machine at the moment)

      Probably doesn't help you too much though, sorry :(

       ronin2@... wrote:

      On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:28:29 -0800
      Raju Kurunkad <rajukv@...> wrote:

      > Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules

      This will cause NVdriver to be inserted during startup.

      I'm skeptical of all this. I've been using NVIDIA for almost two years,
      and I've never been required to insert NVdriver before I startx. In fact
      inserting NVdriver is part of startx.

      I believe the problem is somewhere else, but I'll confess I don't know
      where.

      Kevin

      "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
      The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
      They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
      They choose the path where no-one goes."

      -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

      Do you Yahoo!?