18559Re: Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • Axe T. Groin
    Mar 31, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alan Carter
      <a.carter@p...> wrote:
      > On Sunday 30 March 2003 7:06 pm, Axe T. Groin wrote:
      > > I've gotten X windows up and running after downloading and
      > > installing the NVIDIA drivers, but I have to reinstall the kernel
      > > module every time.
      > >
      > > i.e., When I type startx, I get a failure with the following
      lines:

      > > (EE) NVIDIA(0) Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
      > > (EE) NVIDIA(0) *** Aborting ***
      > > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
      > >
      > > All I have to do is cd into the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123/
      directory,
      > > make install, and then I can start X up just fine.
      > >
      > you need to make sure that the module NVdriver.o is loaded before
      starting X,
      > 'insmod NVdriver.o'. This is acheaved differently on different
      distributions.

      > Alan

      If someone can give me VERY explicit instructions on how to do this
      with Debian, it would be most useful. No matter how hard I try, I
      cannot seem to figure out how to do this. I've looked about the net
      and found nothing that makes this point clear to me.

      Thanx,
      msd
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic