18519Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • Alan Carter
    Mar 30, 2003
      On Sunday 30 March 2003 7:06 pm, Axe T. Groin wrote:
      > I've gotten X windows up and running after downloading and
      > installing the NVIDIA drivers, but I have to reinstall the kernel
      > module every time.
      >
      > i.e., When I type startx, I get a failure with the following lines:
      >
      > (EE) NVIDIA(0) Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
      > (EE) NVIDIA(0) *** Aborting ***
      > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
      >
      > All I have to do is cd into the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123/ directory,
      > make install, and then I can start X up just fine.

      you need to make sure that the module NVdriver.o is loaded before starting X,
      'insmod NVdriver.o'. This is acheaved differently on different distributions.

      Alan
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic